So tired...

Don’t know if you’ve experienced such tiredness that if you were to close your eyes, you would probably fall asleep immediately. Sometimes in this fast paced society, we simply don’t rest enough. The multitude of expectations and responsibilities at work or school, in ministry, for family just seem never-ending. Some like me, thrive on such activity – because it persuades us that we must be productive if we are doing so much. We move from activity to activity with clockwork precision – switching from one intense mode to another. Going from office to church to the gym to dinner with my family. We feel useful, accomplished, as if we are somehow justifying our existence. But we simply cannot go on like this forever, our human bodies will grow tired and weary. Today was one of those days…a day where to simply drag myself out of bed was a momentous struggle of will verses flesh.

It is at times like these were I force myself to pull back and reflect. Am I too busy? Why am I driving myself like this? Some responsibilities I cannot extricate myself from. Others I do simply because I am unwilling to say no. After all, this is such a competitive society, and there is so much depending on me. How can I let up? As I ponder these swirling passions within me, I pause for a moment and consider what heaven was thinking about all this. As God looked down at my life, I wonder what he must be thinking. Was he thinking, “he is so busy…good for him.” Somehow I get a sense that he was sad…sad that I was driving myself so hard, striving so hard to get ahead. And in all that running, I had somehow left Him behind.

Father I want to come back to you. In returning and rest we are saved. I realign myself now to you, my Lord and my God, to come back to the safe place of your presence. I quieten my passions, I still my soul, for you are God. For even young men grow tired and weary and youth stumble and fall, but those who wait on the Lord, He will renew their strength. They will rise on wings like eagles, run and not grow weary, walk and not be faint.